Monday, June 29, 2009

Happy Birthday !!! Not Mine....

"System Software Engineer". This is my new designation at a new office, at a new place. A lot has changed in the last 1 month. And I have adapted to these changes well. The first change, and the most important, at-least for me was the drastic change in temperature and humidity. 1 month back, I was near to the western seas, and right now, I am about 10 kms away from the eastern seas.

About my office, well, its not a very big one. Though the campus has a pretty big parking space, it is rarely crowded by vehicles. The whole campus houses only about 200 employees. So, on an average, we get a mail every week or so, inviting us for some one's birthday. They even put up a printout near the entrance whenever someone's birthday comes, with his photo and name, and wishing him "A Very Happy Birthday". Well, that's not unusual, I guess. I am expecting pretty much the same thing, in a few days. But, they only have a passport size photo of me with them. I am wondering if the photo in the printout will be visible from a distance. Or may be, just before my birthday, they will click some photographs of me, for the printout. It is a black and white printout they paste near the entrance.

Today, there was yet another printout near the entrance, a black and white one. I wasn't wearing my glasses when I reached office. I was sweating and so, in a rush to reach my air-conditioned cubicle, I ignored it. Normally, I would have read the name and have had a look at the photograph.

I was engrossed with work after that and had completely forgotten about that printout. During lunch time, I heard some people talk about someone's birthday. Since it was in Tamil, I only picked up the word birthday. They were probably discussing about the person. When I next checked my inbox, there was an invitation for someone's birthday. I was feeling hungry, and so I was happy with the thought that I would get to eat something sweet. I also thought that I would jump on the cake, the moment it was cut, pick up 2-3 pieces of it, and run back to work. The mail didn't have the name of the person, which I thought would have been a mistake on the sender's (HR) part. They always mess up with things, I thought.

I again got busy with my work. I had to go down to the reception after some time to submit some documents for the tax thing. So, I thought I would have a look at the printout now. After submitting the documents, I walked toward the place where the prinout was pasted. I still wasn't able to read the name from a distance. I wasn't wearing my glasses yet. When, I was within my reading distance, the printout seemed to be different. The picture was unclear, and so was the name. At-last, when everything was clearly visible, I understood everything. The message was,

A Very Happy Birthday To
"Server 1"

And alongside, was it's picture, which defintely wasn't that of a human being. My hunger was gone. I was wondering, who would be blowing the candles!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Waise kaunsi Chennai based company hai ye?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tujh jaise bumper zeheri ko aisi hi zeheri company ki zaroorat thi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chennai based nahi, US based, American Megatrends Incorporated, in short AMI. I am sure ki kisine suna bhi nahi hoga....par kuch din wait kar, sab ke hoton pe yehi naam hoga, TCS, Satyam, Infy ke pehle...


    HAHAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sahi ur company is pretty caring for all .... It has a policy for all ---either living or not.. [:P]...

    ReplyDelete